Subscribe

Monday, January 26, 2009

Pittsburgh receiver's resolve is solid steel

As soon as the Pittsburgh Steelers arrived for Super Bowl XLIII, they were besieged with questions about receiver Hines Ward’s knee. Ward sprained his knee in the first half of the AFC Championship Game win over Baltimore and didn’t return. He’s been undergoing around-the-clock rehabilitation.

He won’t practice until Thursday. “People ask me that question, and I want to smack them,I mean, it’s Hines Ward. People ask me all week if he’s going to be out there. First of all, it’s the Super Bowl. Second of all, it’s Hines Ward. He’s going to be out there, and he’s going to be just fine.” quarterback Ben Roethlisberger said Monday.

Ward, who is one of the most physical receivers in NFL history, has guaranteed he’ll play in Sunday’s game. He has a chance to become the first receiver in history to be voted the Super Bowl’s most valuable player two times.

“I trust my medical staff,I’ve been here for 11 years and had the same trainers and the same doctors. As far as I know, it looks good. I’m well ahead of schedule. “I’m doing the things behind the scenes that have definitely helped me get to a point to where I think I can play pretty good.” Ward said.

Ward’s style of play is physical. He goes out of his way to throw vicious blocks despite being only 6-foot, 205. He sets the tone for the offense and defense.
“He’s just a physical player who plays the game the way it’s supposed to be played,He’s a football player first and a wide receiver second.” coach Mike Tomlin said.

No comments:

Post a Comment